Think about it, when someone does well to you, you feel good and even if you are having a tough day, that action of theirs make you feel good inside makes you think not all is lost. You feel everything will be better once the sun rises again. So wouldn’t it be the same for someone who is having a tough day if you make them feel better, not only through consoling them as some don’t always tell others how they are doing, so you can do things whether you know or not if they are having a bad day, and when you do this the happy person will be happier making your good deed savings go up. It is our duty as Muslims that even if we aren’t naturally born with that positive attitude that will affect others positively, try do good intentionally, make others happier.
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said:
“None of you will believe until you love for your brother what you love for yourself.”
Related by Bukhari & Muslim
Now I asked around and found some ways that people would like to be treated and how they think would make others (irrespective of age, gender, occupation etc.) happy:
- Smile at them
- Look out for them and help wherever possible.
- Talk to them in a cheerful way and if they look sad then console them
- Guide them if they ask you for advice.
- Keep in mind their likes and dislikes and try to do them in their presence.
- Also make them feel important by talking to them or seeking advice even in small matters.
- If they get angry on you, don’t retort back, try to be polite.
- Show them that you genuinely care about them and your relationship.
- If they are far away, then keep in touch not necessarily everyday but as they know that you do think about them would do everyone good.
- Make them feel that you are always welcome and never would you consider them to be a bother.
- Gifts even if really small bring joy.
- Giving knowledge and expertise is a very valuable gift.
- Make Dua for them and that is one of the best things you can do for them.
Let’s not make everyone feel in this world that everyone is here because you need them, make them feel like you truly care and make everyone happy!
Thank you all who helped with their opinions.